Tuesday, October 21, 2014



Shattering Limiting Beliefs

I recently read that fear can hijack your mind for minutes, days, or even years. It comes in different ways, not just knee-knocking trembling fear, but it can be a subliminal fear that slowly takes over your confidence and creates limiting beliefs.

As I live alone, work from home, and work 10 – 12 hours a day 7 days a week I realized my mind had been hijacked and I needed a break. The opportunity came along to visit friends in Thailand and I jumped on it. The one thing that I wanted to do the most was visit with the elephants.
When I saw them, I was disturbed by the chain that tethered these majestic creatures to the ground. I observed them closely for awhile and noticed that the chain wasn't too tight to hurt them and wondered why they didn't just pull it right out of the ground.

Upon my return, I received an interesting email about just that subject. It was a story about Limiting Beliefs, a traveler, Elephants, and a circus. You see, this traveler came across a circus and was amazed as well as confused by the fact that these huge animals were being held by only a small rope tied to their front leg. No chains, no cages! It was obvious that the elephants could, at anytime, break away from their bonds but for some reason they did not.

The traveler asked the trainer why they did not try to break away and this is what he was told …. "When they are very young and much smaller, we use the same size rope to tie them. Whenever they try to flee we would pull them back with the rope, at that age, it's enough to hold them. As they grow up, they are conditioned to believe they cannot break away. They believe the rope can still hold them, so they never try to break free."

Elephants are intelligent creatures but because they believed they couldn't break free they were stuck where they were. Can you relate? I can! I began to settle for a life that was “safe” and/or “comfortable” although I am capable of so much more.

Something just clicked on this trip and I returned with a new outlook on things. I decided to respond to adversity with a positive attitude, giving myself the ability to gain momentum and stay focused on what I would like to achieve until I succeed!

My advice to those of you in similar situations is ...
Don't limit yourself to a small world. Stop confining yourself to the belief that you can't do something. Break free from the chains, your mental boundaries, and reach new heights in this magnificent kingdom that we live in!

Shatter those negative thoughts and limiting beliefs. YOU can do anything you set your mind to if you just believe it! Go ahead and try it no matter what the outcome is. Enjoy the experience and embrace the journey! You will never know how far you can go until you have the courage to do it!
"May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears." ~Nelson Mandela
Circus excerpt by Gin Ng, Dream Acelerator
 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...